Pages

Tuesday 22 June 2021

Distillation.

 Hello readers today I'm going to be making a new blog post about chemistry. Today we are going to be doing an experiment and it is about evaporation. So, what is evaporation? the process of turning from liquid into vapour. Just think of you kettle boiling! Solid - all particles joined together, liquid - most energy - in the middle. Gas- if the fastest.  We can separate a solution, by evaporating away the solvent leave a solute (solid). Our experiment will be about distillation, what is a distillation?  the action of purifying a liquid by a process of heating and cooling. We are going to use coke for our experiment and heat it up. We use 3 different kinds of cokes. Coke zero sugar, coke zero, and the diet coke. We are going to heat up the coke until the liquid is evaporated and see what is left. I think there will be some sugar left because sugar doesn't evaporate. We use ice around the test tube to condense the gas. Condensation means liquid or solid turning into liquid. I heated up the coke classic and waited for it to evaporate. It looked really cool because the bubbles pop slower than water, I think it's because it had more ingredients than water like sugar. After 20 minutes of waiting, I saw my the test tube full of water and the coke turned into burnt sugar. It smelt nasty, the water was clear when we took it out because the coke is 98 percent water and the 2 percent is the other ingredients left in the boiling tube. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something helpful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.