Pages

Monday 31 May 2021

Essay.

Hello readers today I'm going to be making a new blog post about english. My class have been working on making an essay for 2 weeks now. We had a planning sheet where we put our ideas to persuade our readers. Here is the Essay that I did and it is about one of the most influential person in New Zealand. 

The person I chose is Jacinda Ardern because she had a lot of good choices that made New Zealand better. Jacinda is the youngest woman prime minister at the age of 37. She was given an award by Harvard university for hundred thousand US dollars which is equivalent to 200k New Zealand dollars.  She was born on July 27 1980, she is just 26 days younger than my mum.  Her full name is Jacinda Kate Laurell Ardern.  My name is Alex and I'm going to persuade you why Jacinda Ardern is an influential leader of NZ. 



So, there's been so much discussion about the COVID- 19 pandemic, which has seen governments, including the UK struggle to settle on a good strategy to tackle this crisis. Jacinda and her other family of five million which means the whole country not just tackled but dropped COVID-19 in days. She made some simple rules that kept the country safe. She gave a huge credit to her community by showing her appreciation on live TV. Before the COVID-19 outbreak, she had to deal with the volcano eruption which killed 16 people on White island in December last year. Paying tribute to those who have died, She said: “Many people did extraordinary things to save lives, those who have been lost are now forever linked to New Zealand, and we will hold them close.”. 




As the 40th New Zealand prime minister, she is also a mother. Neve Te Aroha Ardern Gayford is the name of their very first daughter’s name. Aroha is a Māori word meaning "love", cognate with the Hawaiian term aloha. Aroha is also a given name to a lot of people in Hawaii and in New Zealand. Her husband’s name is Clarke Timothy Gayford, he was born on  24 October 1976 He is a New Zealand radio and television broadcaster, presenter of the fishing documentary show Fish of the Day. He is the fiance of the New Zealand prime minister Jacinda Ardern. 




Kai, Jacinda is  one of the initials that produces Kai for all the schools in New Zealand. Jacinda hates seeing child poverty, giving food to schools is one of her projects for the kids that might need it. Eating lunch is important for schools because it gives the students energy to do sports or just energy in class. Child poverty is children living in poverty and kids that live with a poor family or even orphaned. Children who live in poverty might have parents that don't have jobs or maybe they don’t have parents. About 290,000 children here in Newzealand live in poverty. I think the children that live in poverty don't feel like themselves at all, these children are supposed to have fun outside, learn. But these children are out there looking       for food in the rubbish. Poverty is one of the hardest things kids can face. Poverty is a state being Extremely poor.




Just like in the beginning of my essay,  Jacinda Ardern is still a very successful politician. Therefore this is why I think that Mrs Jacinda Ardern is a really influential politician and one of the people that made or will make New Zealand even better than it is today.   This is the end of my persuasion about Mrs Jacinda Ardern.  My favorite part was Jacinda Ardern helping the children with poverty problems.
                                      

This is the end of my Essay, please comment on my blog post and give me some feedback about my writing.                           








                  




4 comments:

  1. Kia ora Alex
    Well done on this piece of writing. Ms Ardern is certainly a popular Prime Minister.I particularly liked your comments on child poverty in Aotearoa. It's a topic very close to my own heart too. I agree that the kai ora programme (food in schools) is a great policy to help tackle the issue. Did you identify any other policies that have been implemented to tackle the problem? (Hint" take a look at our 2021 Government Budget).
    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Mr Sutton!! : the economic costs of child
      poverty are in the range of $6-8 billion per year
      and considerable sums of public money are spent
      on remedial interventions. I researched and found more policies to help child poverty, we can make a charity that helps child poverty. I found these ideas on https://www.occ.org.nz. Thanks again!.

      Delete
  2. Hi Alex
    I liked your essay on our Prime Minister and I liked how you used a statistic (About 290,000 children here in Newzealand live in poverty) as statistics are a powerful persuasive tool in writing. Have you heard the adage 'Lies, damn lies, and statistics'?

    Mr Aitken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Mr Aitken, thank you for giving a really helpful feedback about my writing. Yes! I've heard about this quote, it is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers.

      Delete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something helpful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.